Care and Management of Captive Raptors Workshop
Registration for the 2018 Care and Management of Captive Raptors Workshop is full. To be put on the waitlist either click on the registration button below or email Education Program Manager at email@example.com
This four-day intensive workshop will orient both the novice and expert bird manager to the finer points of caring for and maintaining captive raptors for educational purposes.
Register here when the dates are released.
- Hands-on learning with our expert staff in our internationally renowned clinic
- Work with live education raptors and the staff of our education department
- Meet clinic veterinarians, including Dr. Julia Ponder
- Work with Lori Arent, author of Raptors in Captivity
This is a four day intensive workshop. Lunch is included each day. Please note special dietary restrictions when registering.
(subject to change)
- Enhance your organization's message through live education animals
- Introduction to opperant conditioning
- Should I accept this bird or not? Considerations when selecting a rehabilitated bird for education
- Advanced raptor anatomy and physiology (hands-on)
- Basic raptor medical care (hands-on)
- Emergency raptor medical care (hands-on)
- Rats and fish and quail, oh my: raptor diet selection, storage, and preparation
- Behavioral training techniques for education birds
- Education raptor handling 101 perching, crating, and transportation (hands-on)
- Basic exam procedures: restraining raptors, weight assessment and checking foot condition(clinic hands-on)
- Education raptor housing: a review of specific considerations in design
- Managing raptor health and well-being: coping/trimming/physical checks for education birds(hands-on)
- Emergency care skills: basic bandaging, hemostasis, and administering fluids (clinic hands-on)
- Raptor handling: techniques for handling education raptors in programs, bird escapes, and more
- Training demonstrations for education raptors
Cost is $820. Lunch for all four days is included in the registration fee. Please note in detail any dietary restrictions.
Lodging, transportation and evening meals are the responsibility of the participant. The conference hotel is the Radisson Hotel Roseville, 2540 N. Cleveland Avenue, Roseville, MN 55113. Phone is 1-800-333-3333. Reservations made before September 21, 2018, are guaranteed a room at $107.00/night. Shuttle service from the hotel to The Raptor Center for each day of the conference is provided. For transportation options from the Minneapolis/St Paul airport to the hotel, click here.
- Cancellations received by August 6: Full tuition refund
- Cancellations between August 7 and September 21: Subject to a $60 cancellation fee
- Cancellations after September 21: 50% tuition refund
- 24 hours or less before workshop start: No refund is available
NOTE: The workshop is subject to cancellation if it does not reach its minimum required enrollment. Participants will be notified of cancellation no later than 30 days before the start of the workshop and will receive a full refund. To assist participants in making airfare and hotel accommodations, workshop confirmation notices will be sent out to all registered participants once the minimum required enrollment has been reached.